Bees are an integral part of the ecosystem and they are majorly responsible for pollination. However, an encounter with bees can sometimes result in painful stings. While not all bees are life threatening, they can be extremely uncomfortable and painful. But it is important to live in harmony with bees as their contribution is extremely important.
As bee stings may trigger various allergic reactions it is important to know to administer the first aid for bee stings that can help you with pain and discomfort. Before dividing into the first aid for bee stings let’s understand the basics of bee stings.
What is meant by bee sting?
Bees have a stinger in their body and they use this stinger as their defense when they are threatened or attacked. The stinger usually contains irritants and venom. This stinger gets attached to your skin, when the stinger comes in contact with skin it can lead to irritation leading to the symptoms of bee sting.
Why do the bees die after they sting?
Usually the bee dies once it stings. This occurs when bee stings the stinger gets attached to the body, making it impossible to detach itself from the skin. So in an attempt to detach itself it can end up in pulling the insides that includes abdomen leading to the death of the bee.
Also not all bees die after stinging, few bees tend to sting multiple times if felt threatened.
What are the common signs and symptoms of bee sting?
The most common signs and symptoms of bee sting includes:
- Sharp and pointing pain at the sting site
- Changes in skin color at the sting site
- Swelling at the site of sting
- Itchy skin
In certain rare cases a bee sting may lead to anaphylaxis which is a severe allergic reaction. Book an appointment at the general medicine hospital if your symptoms seem to get worse.
What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction of bee sting?
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of the throat and tongue
- Stomach cramps
- Increased heart beat
What are the steps involved in the first aid for bee stings?
Knowing to perform first aid for bee stings is extremely important to avoid any allergic reactions. Here are the steps for first aid for bee stings,
If you are stung bees it is important to stay calm, as panicking can make it only worse.
Take out the stinger carefully:
Examine the stinging area thoroughly first. Most likely, a red bump will appear. Additionally, if a stinger was left behind, a tiny black filament will protrude from the center. The venom sac is located at the bulbous end, if it has one.
Pull the skin tight to have a better view if it is loose around the stinger. This will also help in grasping the stinger. But avoid using the tweezers as it can lead to leaking of venom.
Clean the area with soap and water:
Even though your first instinct might be to treat the discomfort, don’t neglect this important step.
You may make sure that any venom that could have gotten on the skin is gone by cleaning the stung spot. By doing this, discomfort will not gradually get worse.
Additionally, bee stings typically become quite irritating as the pain decreases later in the course of treatment for wasp and bee stings. In the event that subsequent scratching causes cracks in the skin, you want the skin to be free of infection.
Apply ice compress on site of the sting:
Ice works wonders for numbing pain and inflammation. For the first several days after treating the sting, this is one of the greatest at-home cures. Ice packs are a great way to reduce the swelling of the site.
Continue to watch for the signs:
A bee sting can cause a serious allergic reaction in anyone. Even if you’ve been stung before and didn’t react, you could still experience a strong reaction. It’s also possible to be stung and not immediately exhibit any symptoms of anaphylaxis.
For the next few hours, keep an eye out for any signs of a reaction on either the stung person or on yourself.
Seek help from the medical help:
Everybody’s response to a bee sting is unique. Generally speaking, severe pain should subside within a few hours, and swelling and itching should last for a few days. The safest course of action is to visit a hospital if symptoms aren’t improving with time or if severe pain lasts longer than a few hours.
What are the things to avoid while following a first aid for bee stings?
Avoid scratching of the site:
Avoid scratching the affected area, as this can increase the risk of infection and prolong the healing process.
Do not apply heat:
Do not apply heat to the area. Heat can increase blood flow and potentially spread the venom. Knowing how to stop swelling from a bee sting is important to avoid any complications.
Do not avoid allergic reactions:
Never ignore severe allergic reactions. If you experience symptoms like difficulty breathing or swelling, don’t hesitate to call for immediate medical assistance.
Avoid popping blisters:
If blisters form at the sting site, avoid popping them. This could delay the healing process and result in infection.
Don’t assume that bee stings are harmless:
Not all bee stings are benign. If you’re stung multiple times, stung inside the mouth or throat, or by a known aggressive species like a wasp or hornet, you should seek medical attention to rule out potential complications.
How long can a bee sting pain last for?
The spot is either severely burned or in discomfort for one to two hours. After the sting, normal venom swelling can worsen for 48 hours. Three days is how long the redness might linger. Swelling may persist for seven days.
Bee stings can be painful and, in some cases, dangerous. Knowing how to properly administer first aid for bee stings is essential for your safety and well-being. By following these dos and don’ts, you can effectively manage bee stings and, in cases of severe allergic reactions, ensure prompt medical attention. Reach out to the general medicine specialist if you notice any symptoms of an allergic reaction.