Frozen shoulder, which is also called adhesive capsulitis, basically involves the pain and stiffness in the joints. The signs and symptoms of this normally begin slowly, and then become worse. This disability can definitely turn serious if it’s not treated on time. This mainly affects people of age between 40 to 60, with women affecting way more than men. A frozen shoulder might usually take 2 to 9 months to completely develop, but the pain gets improved with time as range of motion becomes limited and stiffness continues.
So the best treatments for how to cure frozen shoulder quickly majorly consists of different range or motion exercises, and sometimes it involves numbing medications and corticosteroids as well which are injected into the joints. And so to help you get a complete idea about these exercises, we got you covered through this article.
As you scroll down, you will find out complete details about frozen shoulder, such as how to cure the frozen shoulder quickly without taking any medicines and by doing some exercises and much more. So just keep reading below to check out all the info.
5 Best Exercises for Frozen Shoulder
There are some amazing exercises which are a great solution for how to cure frozen shoulder quickly without taking any medicines and in the most natural way. And so details of the best 5 are provided below, as follows-
- Towel Stretch- So this is the exercise that you have to perform first.
- Firstly relax your shoulders.
- Then stand firm and lean over slowly, which will allow your arm that is affected to hand down.
- Then swing your arm in a form of a circle, near about 1 feet in diameter.
- Continue to perform at least 10 revolutions in each of the directions, but once in a day.
- Also as the symptoms improve, you can increase the diameter of your swing, but of course you don’t have to force it.
- And then when you are ready to do more, just simply increase the stretch by holding less weight in a swinging arm, could be near about 3 to 5 pounds.
- Pendulum Stretch- This is another best exercise for how to cure frozen shoulder quickly. Steps to perform it are-
- For this exercise, grab a towel about 3 feet using both your hands behind the back and then hold it in a position which is horizontal.
- Then use your arm which is good to pull the arm that is affected in an upward direction to stretch it.
- You can do an advanced version of towel stretch over the good shoulder with the towel draped around.
- You can then grasp the bottom of the towel with your affected arm and just pull it towards the lower area of your back by using the good arm.
- Just do this exercise at least 10 to 20 times a day.
- Cross Body Reach- Another solution for how to cure frozen shoulder quickly is the cross body reach. Do it as follows-
- Either stand or sit to do this.
- Then, use your arm well or good arm to lift the arm which is affected at the elbow, and then bring it up and across the whole body, while exerting gentle pressure to try to stretch your shoulder.
- Then hold on to this stretch for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- And try to do this cross body stretch for 10 to 20 times in a day.
- Finger Walk-
- To do this stretch, begin by facing a wall by maintaining a distance of 3 quarters of an arm’s length.
- Then reach out to the wall and touch it at the level of waist with the fingertips of the arm that is affected.
- Then make your elbow slightly bent, just slowly walk your fingers to the wall and just like a spider, until you have completely raised your arm to the level of your shoulder, or as far as you can do it in the most comfortable way. And then your fingers should do the work and not the muscles of the shoulder.
- Then just slowly lower your arm, with the help of the good arm if it’s necessary for and continue to repeat it.
- And then just perform this finger walk exercise for how to cure frozen shoulder quickly for a minimum of 10 to 20 times a day.
- Armpit Stretch-
- So to do this you have to use your good arm and then lift the arm that is affected onto a shelf which should be atleast high till breasts.
- Then gently start to bend your knees and open the armpit.
- Try to bend your knee a little deep and slowly stretch the armpit, and then strengthen it completely.
- And then with each time you knee your bend, you have to stretch it a little more, but of course do not do it forcefully.
- Do this armpit stretch for a minimum of 15 to 20 times in a day.
How to cure frozen shoulder quickly through surgical and other procedures?
Most of the frozen shoulders get recovered or better on their own within 1 to 2 years. But for persistent or serious symptoms of it, there are some treatments other than stretch exercises to treat it. The best procedures includes the following-
- Hydrodilation- This includes injecting the sterile water into the capsule of joints which helps to stretch the tissue and so make it easier to move the shoulder around. This can also be combined with steroid injection in some cases.
- Steroid Injections- In this the corticosteroids are injected into the joints of shoulders to help decrease the pain and improve the mobility of the shoulder, especially if it’s given early after frozen shoulder just begins.
- Surgery- So surgery to treat frozen shoulders is very rare. But in case nothing else works out, this can help to remove the scar tissue from the inside of the joints of the shoulder. The procedure of surgery basically consists of making small incisions for the instruments which are guided by a little camera that is inside the joint.